Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mini Habits Day 4

1. Be thankful for one thing- I am thankful for the open, respectful and engaged conversation that my team facilitated for American citizens today regarding the implementation of the Sharia Penal Code.

2. Cardio or weight lifting for 1 minute- I did a great combination of weightlifting and cardio for a total of 25 minutes.

3. Blog 25 words per day- Today I am going to ponder about the necessity of adjusting the rules when it makes common sense to do so and is not illegal, unethical or immoral.  Two examples today that I can ponder on.  This blog and my mini habits effort is my positive first example.  On day one, I set the order, and blogging was item #3.  However, I realized today that to continue to say "see below" made no sense, when a simple adjustment, reversing items 2 and 3, would allow this blog to make more sense and flow better.  I made the change and will surge forward with something that makes better sense. 

My second example is less positive.  Six months ago I started the process of coordinating my permanent change of station.  Today I found out that one item that was key to my scheduling- having my consultations and training before my home leave- was ignored and dismissed without the question actually being asked.  Therefore, because of the laziness or lack of attention of my previous orders processor, I am not entitled to a schedule that makes sense, costs the US government no more than a traditional routing and allows me to gain the training I need in order to be effective in my next position.  My organization claims verbally and in writing that it cares about us and it cares about leadership development.  However it never lives up to what it claims, making it a very hollow claim and one that is getting harder and harder to tolerate.  So now, I will try to make the case, so much later in the process, after everyone has already had to work on the orders and the process, so that we all have to waste our time redoing everything that could have been done right the first time.  Wonderful, efficient bureaucracy that clearly cares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home