Thursday, July 03, 2008

My birthday and new portfolio

My birthday was just another work day here in Baghdad. It was also the day that my office got restructured- Happy Birthday!

I initially planned to go to the office only or the morning when I had meetings scheduled,and then take the afternoon off to enjoy some relaxation and sleep in an effort to get rid of the sore throat that has plagued me since I got to the desert. Unfortunately, my bosses had other plans.

My colleagues and I were called together to let us know that our portfolios were being restructured. Until this point, the Regional Management Office had split the country into thirds- North, Central and South. I was responsible for the Central section, which included REO Hillah, all of Baghdad and PRTs (Provincial Reconstruction Teams) and ePRTs (embedded Provincial Reconstruction Teams) in Anbar, Diwaniyah, Karbala and Najaf. However, our bosses had other plans and other portfolios that now needed to be covered. And they had chosen me.

We learned that I would retain Baghdad in my regional management portfolio, but that the rest of my duties would be special projects, many of which will be focused on process improvement and traditionalization of the Embassy. The new portfolio appeals to me, and promises to give me a chance to work with many different sections in a way that I would not have had with only my Regional Management duties. But there is so much to be done. The hours are going to be long, but potentially rewarding and interesting.

Of course, the first new special project I was handed had a meeting that very afternoon. The plan of taking the afternoon off went away, and the new project began. I can't really talk about the new project yet, but after only one meeting I know I will be able to use every bit of State Department expertise I have on this one. And as soon as I can share details with everyone, I will.

I came back from the meeting, excited to be starting something new, only to find our email systems on the fritz. I took this as a karmic sign and went home to bed. My birthday gift to myself was the freedom to crawl into bed at 6.30 pm without guilt, and sleep the night away. Maybe that proves I am old...but I prefer to refer to myself as spoiled and pampered :)

On the evening of July 4th, I hosted a birthday evening for myself and my new colleagues at the employee association bar. The turnout of management colleagues was slim (but appreciated). However, the constant turnover of the people here means that everyone becomes friends quickly. We had a great time meeting and mingling with friends, old and new. It was not a late night, but a quality one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home