Thursday, June 19, 2008

Waiting for Godot?

After a great night sleep and a long day's sightseeing, I expected to sleep very well last night. Alas, I should have managed my own expectations. I managed about 4.5 hours- enough to feel a bit rested but not enough to make me feel great for another day of travel.

I killed a bunch of time playing Webkins online. This is a new hobby, thanks to my nieces. For my birthday they gave me a stuffed cow webkins toy. This is a great business plan- I wish I had thought of it. Run a website where the kids first have to buy a toy and then give them access for one year for free, get them addicted to playing online (with some learning tasks admittedly) and then know that mom and dad will fork over money at the end of the year to continue the subscription. Anyway, they do have some games and trivia suited for adults. Having access also gives me access to kinzpost, which is an email system I can use to chat with my nieces. Or so I tell myself that is why I am making the effort.

The rest of the day was "hurry up and wait" though the process of transporting us is like a well-oiled machine by this point. I arrived in Baghdad with about 60 other people on our milair flight. The flight was actually more comfortable than the Paris to Amman commercial flight! The interior of the transport plane is amazing. The layout is jumpseat style seats facing each other. When they were short a few seats the talented men and women of the screw just installed a few more quickly and we were on our way.

The staff here at Baghdad International Airport has been great. Once again, a well-oiled machine. The heat hit like a wave as soon as I exited the flight cooled aircraft, and the same is true now when i go out of the trailers. I have a few hours to wait until my helicopter takes me to the Green Zone (aka IZ).

The people I am traveling with have also been a real pleasure. There are a group of two other women and one guy who will work in my section that I have already started to get to know and feel comfortable with. So far, I am very impressed with everything.

The first meal in the DFAC was also great. DFAC stands for Dining Facility. We were really hungry, and the food tasted great and was plentiful. My goal of losing some weight is going to be more work than I thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home